[Samba] hardware and configuration for school's servers

pawciobiel at kozmianet.kom.pl pawciobiel at kozmianet.kom.pl
Mon Feb 6 23:15:09 GMT 2006

Hi

I am managing samba server in school.
"Server" is on VIA 800MHz processor with 80GB IDE hard drive.
there is no domain at the moment, just simple sharing, security share
and smbpasswd file.
I have 300 computers (each classroom has 20) with winxp sp2 auto logon
limited local account,
300 users (6 intake groups).
Passworded home directorys on Samba and Pupils have access to it by
clicking on icon which
fire up small VBS script which ask them for username and password and map
"My Documents" for them. Each classroom has a printer and on each
machine in classroom it is installed as local printing to port.
I am managing users accounts using my small sh and perl scripts.
"Deploying" or installing software on computers using perl (Win32::OLE)
scrips which copy my own version of installer (made using Nullsoft NSIS)
and fire it up using local administrator account.

I was asked to build the system based on samba which give each pupil at
least 10 GB home
space and will be save, easy (and secure?) and of course if it goes down
pupils will be able to have normal lessons.

I have to ask, Is it a good idea to buy 6 cheap VIA servers, each for a
year group,
configure sambas as a simple home sharing on each of them?
Or couple of Dual Opterons, 2GB mem, 3Ware, RID-5, Gbit network, Domain
with LDAP password backend?
Or maybe 6 of them and 7 as database only?

What hardware and samba configuration would be the best for my school?

BTW: Is it possible to use tbdedit in sh loop script which pick up
usernames and passwords from CSV/txt file?

--
Regards,
pawcio