[Samba] Questions about file system support in Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 5 20:54:59 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 08:30 -0700, Chris Lounsbury wrote:
> If I remember correctly from the documents I have read on samba.org the
> smb client will only allow up to 2gig of information and for anything
> larger than this you need to use cifs client.  Most of our shares don't
> excede 2 gig so I haven't set this up myself but there is some good
> documentation on how to do this and I have seen lots of postings saying
> that with cifs they had no problems with large files
> Chris

This thread is getting a big out of control.  The 2GB limitation applies
if your OS is so limited and to smbfs, the deprecated Linux kernel
module.  Indeed, for those needing a Linux kernel filesystem, we always
suggest cifsvfs over smbfs, particularly given recent enhancements.

smbclient does not use smbfs, so does not suffer this limitation.  The
server is not limited either, except in both cases by your OS, or a
failure to correctly detect the capabilities of your OS (unlikely, but
possible).

Andrew Bartlett