[Samba] Newbie: Samba Directory Security Issue

Twang linux at 1067wwtl.com
Wed Feb 1 18:25:29 GMT 2006

I am pretty much a samba newbie. In the past, I have created a share like
this without a problem, but my troubleshooting skills with samba are minimal
as I have minimal experience.

I am trying to create a user share (using the pcguest user) that is wide
open to the network. The directory is /var/snd. Network users on Windows can
see the folder, but get the general permission denied when trying to access
it. I created a share to the /tmp and had NO problems accessing it from the
Windows boxes. Then, I changed the smb configuration for the /tmp to point
to /var/snd and I still could not access it. Directory permissions are
RWXRWXRWX. pcguest is uid 98 gid 99

This has to be obvious to others... but I am not seeing it.

smb.conf:

workgroup = Rad
server string = Rdell
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.10.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
guest account = pcguest
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
security = user
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
domain master = no
dns proxy = no
winbind uid = 16777216-33554431
winbind gid = 16777216-33554431