[Samba] Migrate to Debian Etch - nogo

John H Terpstra jht at primastasys.com
Sun Dec 31 20:28:35 GMT 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 08:37, André Jee wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a small project going on. I'm about to migrate Redhat 7.3 to
> Debian Etch (smbd version 3.0.23d-2+b1).
> I've already managed to migrate Redhat 7.3 to Debian Sarge (smbd version
> 3.0.14a-) without any bigger problems.
>
> However, when I migrate to Etch I face a small problem. The last thing I
> want to do before I start samba is to grant my linux/samba admin,
> NT 'Domain Admins' access. 'net groupmap list' does not show anything
> (as it does in smbd version 3.0.14a-).

That behaviour was changed after 3.0.14a - you need to manually create the
Windows groups. See the WHATSNEW.txt file in the Samba tarball. Also refer
to:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

> sweetums:/# net groupmap list
> sweetums:/#
>
> So I can't do 'net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins"
> unixgroup=admin' either because there are no such group.
> If I create one my self 'net groupmap add rid=1000 ntgroup="Domain
> Admins" unixgroup=admin' it still does not get administrator privileges
> in Windows 2000.

net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=admin type=d rid=512

> Note that I have done exactly what I did in Sarge but it does not work
> in Etch.

The RID determines the privilege level in Windows.

> My superior want to run Etch so I have to keep that in mind.
>
> Any pointers would be great.

Read the documentation - it is available on the Samba web site to help our
users.

Cheers,
John T.