[Samba] Samba and NFS quota problem

Steve Goodman (lists) steve-lists at aston.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 15:41:33 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am mounting via NFS a number of volumes and re-sharing these as CIFS.
We have been using this arrangement successfully for a number of years.

We are replacing the "CIFS>NFS" proxy servers (which are also PDC/BDCs
to OpenLDAP) and a weird problem seems to occur.

The problem is the quota/disk size appears to be wrong. For example, if
I use the unix quota command on the SMB server, it shows correctly the
quota and usage. However on the windows machine this is showing
incorrectly. The NFS is mounted with no special options, and I have
tried against different NFS servers, different Samba versions and can
replicate the problem on both the PDC and BDC servers (which are setup
identically)

OS:
CentOS 4.4 x64

Hardware:
Dell Poweredge 2950

Current Samba version:
samba3-client-3.0.23d-30
samba3-3.0.23d-30

(Also occurs on CentOS/RHEL Samba-3.0.10)

NFS server:

Solaris 9, default settings. Also it shows the wrong quota information
using another NFS server (EMC Celerra NAS 5.5)

Quota shows correctly using quota command:
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
helios:/adm/d501
                 359519  500000  500500             668       0       0

Disk usage on the windows system shows:

8.98MB free of 265MB - writing any file to this fails.

Samba also appears to be compiled with quota options enabled:
# smbd -b| grep QUOTA
   HAVE_SYS_QUOTA_H
   HAVE_LINUX_XFS_QUOTAS
   HAVE_QUOTACTL_LINUX
   HAVE_SYS_QUOTAS
   HAVE_XFS_QUOTAS
   WITH_QUOTAS
   WITH_QUOTAS

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am about to
compile from source to see if this still occurs.

Steve Goodman