[Samba] Issues with samba PDC + WinXP clients

mikko at todellisuus.net mikko at todellisuus.net
Fri Dec 8 09:30:59 GMT 2006

Hello,

I've been trying to configure samba 3.0.23d to work as PDC for a few
days now. I can successfully join computer to domain but logging with
user credentials fails with error message:

The system can not log you on due to the following error:

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the
message file for %2

Eventlog on windows side doesnt show anything usefull. I did all
registry tricks on windows side (Sign secure channel).

Heres my smb.conf:

[global]
; General setting
netbios name = SMBADS
workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
os level = 64
wins support = true

; PDC Settings
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

domain master = yes
domain logons = yes

security = user
encrypt passwords = true

; Log settings
log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
syslog = 0
server string = SAMBA-LDAP PDC Server %v

; user profiles and home directory
logon home = \\%L\%U\
logon drive = h:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon script = netlogon.bat

; LDAP Configuration
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
ldap user suffix = ou=users
ldap group suffix = ou=groups
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com
ldap delete dn = no
ldap password sync = yes
enable privileges = yes

[homes]