[Samba] Ports

Miguel Da Silva - Servicio de Informát Miguel Da Silva - Servicio de Informát
Wed Aug 30 14:28:25 GMT 2006

Shaun Marolf wrote:
> Okay my smb.conf file is correct. Firewall is configured correctly to allow
> Samba on local network. smbd and nmbd are running. Her computer still cannot
> connect to my printer share. I read my Samba version wrong its actually
> 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1, here is my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> 	workgroup = HOME
> 	realm = SHAUN
> 	server string = Samba Server
> 	security = SHARE
> 	encrypt passwords = No
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	max log size = 50
> 	dns proxy = No
> 	wins support = Yes
> 	ldap ssl = no
> 	admin users = shaun
> 	read list = shaun
> 	write list = shaun
> 	printer admin = shaun
> 	cups options = raw
>
> [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /usr/spool/samba
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	printable = Yes
> 	browseable = No
>
> [LaserJet_4]
> 	comment = HP LaserJet 4/4M
> 	path = /usr/spool/samba
> 	read only = No
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	printable = Yes
> 	printer name = LaserJet_4
> 	oplocks = No
> 	share modes = No
>
> I am using Fedora Core 5
>
> She has Windows XP Media Center Edition. I cannot see her computer at all when
> I try to browse with smb4k or with my file manager.
>
> She cannot can see my computer if I scan from her station but she cannot
> connect to me. I ran a scan on SMB ports from her and they show as open so
> she should see my printer but doesn't.
>
> My firewall is reporting the attempt of ports like 35578 attempting to make an
> inbound connection from her.
>
> Did MS change things again or is there something else?
>
> --Shaun

I had once some problems regarding SMB connections and firewalls;
according to Microsoft the ports needed to make this kind of connections
should be 135/UDP, 137/UDP, 138/UDP, 139/TCP and 445/TCP, but if I open
these ports using iptables and block anything else, the connections are
not possible.

I tried all the port/protocol posible combinations and could not make it...

Good luck.

--
Miguel Da Silva.
Servicio de Informatica.