[Samba] ftp 8x faster than samba

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Aug 30 13:04:07 GMT 2006

Yoink wrote:
> I've seen this problem mentioned many times in the various FAQs and
> How-Tos on the Internet, but none of the solutions presented therein
> have worked for me.
>
> SNIP
>
> This gigabit connection should always be performing as it does under
> ftp, any advice?

    I copied a 600MB file from my workstation to our Samba server and it
took approximately two minutes.

    I copied the same file from the Samba server to my workstation using
the Command prompt and it took roughly 1 minute 30 seconds.

    This was done with the Samba server acting as a Primary Domain
Controller and with the workstation joined to the Domain. I just
performed the above unscientific test about ten minutes ago.

    I had also performed this test when I initially switched us off of a
Windows server and onto the Linux server about 4 years ago and the Samba
server provided file sharing significantly faster then our previous
Windows server had.

    From my rather limited understanding, it simply won't be possible to
get Samba to provide the same speed as FTP, due to the serious
difference between the layers of software that are in between FTP
serving files and Samba serving files. For instance, FTP provides no
real security beyond the clear text password, while Windows Filesharing
and Samba does.

    A better and far more accurate test would be to time the transfer of
files from a Windows Server to a Windows Workstation, via Windows
Filesharing and then from the Linux Samba server to the Windows
workstation with all other variables being the same. Testing like things
is far superior to testing unlike things.

    I believe that if you were to setup a FTP server on a Windows server
and then copy a file off that server, it would also be significantly
faster then using Windows filesharing. I could be wrong, as fine tuning
networking speeds and testing servers isn't part of my job.

    Regards,
    Robert Adkins