[Samba] How to unlock the locked file.

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Wed Aug 16 15:51:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Jacky Chan wrote:
> I just upgrade from SUSE9.3 to SUSE10.0 and running samba-3.0.22-11. I have
> a workstation which store outlook.pst on Samba share.

> Yesterday, this workstation get hang and after a cold boot. It can't access
> the outlook.pst anymore, the system reported the pst file is using by
> someone and outlook can't open it….

Sometimes this works:

1.  Login to the samba server.
2.  Run a "smbstatus".
3.  Find the pid of the process that has the lock on the file
     in the third section of the output.
4.  Verify that it matches the expected user and hostname
     in the first and second sections of the smbstatus output.
5.  Run "ps -ef" and see how long the smbd with that pid has
     been running.
6.  If it has been running since before the computer was last
     rebooted, it's a left over smbd.  Kill JUST THAT ONE smbd.
     (And make sure you get the right one -- it should be one
     that has a parent pid not equal to 1.)

   - Logan