[Samba] XP clients disconnected during trasnfer of larger files tothe samba server

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Aug 12 23:08:49 GMT 2006

Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> What am I missing? Is ther esome more info I can add to get someone to
> respond? Is there a better place to be getting help?

No better place.
Mostly people only respond when your problem is similar to
a problem they themselves have had.  I regularly transfer
2 Gig files around and have since forever it seems.
But I'll try and give some pointers based on my experience.

Firstoff, try and use the defaults unless there is a strong
motivating reason to override it.  I review the config and
periodically experiment with going back to the defaults on
the few items I override.  The samba team are the experts and
they make the defaults work the best overall.

You have these two items:
   wins support = true
   name resolve order = bcast hosts
which says run support for wins, but don't use it to resolve
netbios names.  Good to use it and point the secondary server at it
plus all your windows machines.  Right now, you only
resolve netbios on the local subnet plus DNS the same as
netbios.

You also have this
   use spnego = no
 From the doco:
Unless further issues are discovered with our SPNEGO implementation,
there is no reason this should ever be disabled.
Have you had an issue?  If not, delete it.

Another override:
   oplocks = no
Use this to avoid specific issues with specific shares or filetypes.

Last, socket endpoint not connected is frequently a hardware issue.
I don't know the protocol inside out, but it seems the
smb protocol is less forgiving than ftp.  Switch and interface
card issues during saturation become an issue with smb.

Regards, Doug