[Samba] Compiling and Configuring Samba for Mandrival

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Aug 10 05:33:49 GMT 2006

Mates,

    Since nobody is building binaries for mandriva, I thought I would share
a quick cheat sheet for those who want to compile from source to update 10.2
from 3.20 to 3.23. Here goes:

1.    Download samba-3.0.23b.tar.gz to your local machine (a given...)

2.    Unzip it:  tar xzvf samba-3.0.23b.tar.gz

3.    Change to the source directory:  cd samba-3.0.23b/source/

4.    Make sure you are root:  su root (enter root password)

5.    run:  ./autogen.sh
       see
(http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html)

6.    Now you need to configure the makefile. This is simple, the only pain
in the butt is making sure you have the right configure parameters for
Mandriva to keep the various pieces of samba from being scattered all over
your disto. (i.e. smb.conf in /usr/lib ???)

       simply run:

./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share --mandir=/usr/share --with-co
nfigdir=/etc/samba

       and the pieces will get placed in the right places.

7.    run:  make

8.    run:  make install
       (this completes the install)

9.    now restart samba:  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

10.  You should be up and running with the new samba release! If samba fails
to start and you are in a panic, simply issue:

        make revert

and then

        /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

and your old version of samba will be restored! (it really works)

    That's it, hope it helps some other poor Mandrival user. If I missed a
step, it is only because it is late.....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC