[Samba] FC5 attempting to mount Win98 share via samba 'mount error 112 = Host is down'

Tim Schoenfelder tim at timschoenfelder.com
Sun Aug 6 19:37:30 GMT 2006

I've read that smbfs has been depreciated for cifs for Win2k and WinXP,
however, I see that older vfat OSs such as Win98 are not supported via cifs
filesystem.

I have installed the current samba binary on Fedora Core 5 via yum and
noticed that the mount command doesn't recognize smbfs either.

I used the following syntax:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.111/C /mnt/htpc -o user=WORKGROUP/Username,nocase
The above command entry prompted for a password

and then

yielded the following error:
mount error 112 = Host is down

BTW, smbtree finds the hostname and share, however, word on the net is that
a person has to use an ip address to make cifs work.

Using the following command:
mount -t smbfs //HTPC/C /mnt/htpc -o
user=WORKGROUP/Username,pass="password",nocase

yields the following error:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

smbtree sees the win98 share correctly as //HTPC/C

Does anyone know how I can mount my Win98 share with the new samba?
--
Tim Schoenfelder
http://timschoenfelder.com