[Samba] net rpc rights ¿problem?

Asier Baranguán abaranguan at elpagestion.com
Fri Aug 4 13:07:01 GMT 2006

Hi!

I have a domain with samba+ldap working perfectly. The LDAP and Samba are in a linux
vserver machine, but in the main host, not in the guests. The machine has samba 3.0.22 and
debian sarge 3.1 up to date. Last week I try to assign privileges to different users with
the 'net rpc rights' command and found a strange behaviour.

('asier' is a local user without privileges, not an ldap user)

(samba and openldap are working)

| asier at kasparov:~ $ net rpc rights list accounts
| Password:
| Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1

So I tryed with the credentials of the 'root' user created with the smbldap-tools.

| asier at kasparov:~ $ net -U root%rootpwd rpc rights list accounts
| Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1

Since some daemons have problems with vserver and localhost addresses I specified the
public IP of the server:

| asier at kasparov:~ $ net -S 192.168.1.99 -U root%rootpwd rpc rights list accounts
| Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1

But if I try only with the IP:

| asier at kasparov:~$ net -S 192.168.1.99 rpc rights list accounts
| Password:
| BUILTIN\Print Operators
| SePrintOperatorPrivilege
|
| BUILTIN\Account Operators
| No privileges assigned

[ ... the complete list of privileges ... ]

If I try with a bad password

| asier at kasparov:~ $ net -S 192.168.1.99 -U root%badpwd rpc rights list accounts
| Could not connect to server 192.168.1.99
| The username or password was not correct.

The behaviour is the same if I run this with the local 'root' account. Why? The password
is the same! I can't understand this behaviour