[Samba] samba 4 for home network sharing

F. Heitkamp heitkamp at ameritech.net
Sat Apr 29 13:40:18 GMT 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Robert Mortimer wrote:

> Most Distro's come with a SAMBA binary. Is suggest that you start with that.

Thanks.

> There are clear minimum config suggestions in the documentation (your distro
> often has a default config (see /etc/samba/smb.conf).

I have a working Samba 3 config.  Everything was working fine until I
upgraded from glibc 2.3 to 2.4.  I thought about going back to 2.3.6, but
I already have some other programs that want 2.4 so I would have to change
them as well.

> Mac OS X should be able to use NFS so should not need SAMBA as this is a
> Unix2Unix setup (you can use SAMBA if you wish though)

OT:  I can get OS X to mount my nfs drives if I use a insecure port, but
I can't read my directory cause it says I don't have permissions.  Funny
all my Linux boxes work fine mounting my exported drives, but there is
something OS X doesn't like that I haven't figured out.

> > If you want you can install services for Unix on your windows box
> (2000/XP/98) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324055/en-us and use NFS

I have a copy of that (not installed) but I do have cygwin installed.

> NFS / SAMBA  (it is up to you to choose)

Rather use samba for some stuff, it's much nicer IMHO.

Fred