[Samba] Missing Files on share

Ubiratã Muniz da Silva ubiratamuniz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:36:39 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I have an old server here, which is my PDC and has worked fine so far.

It runs Conectiva Linux 8.0 and Samba 3.0.4

Here's the deal. In a share (I didn't check all, this is the one that the
users complained so far), there are files missing.

The problem: In Windows XP Pro workstations, when browsing the share, which
should have more than 1,000 files, only about 200 show up. However, if I
log on to the machine locally and go to the share directory, all the files
are there. The curious thing is that the files don't show up on the user's
EExplorer, but if he tries to save a file with the same name, the system
asks if he wants to overwrite the file. And even if he does overwrite the
files, the files don't show up on the browsing.

I know that 3.0.4 is an old Samba version, but I haven't upgraded to 3.0.11
yet because I'm afraid something will screw up and that I won't be able to
return to the previous state (this system was put together by an external
consultant which tangled it in a way nobody understands how it works - we
are in a migration process, but I need this thing working before the
migration to the new Samba server, which will take some time yet)

I was wondering if special chars (such as ª and º) could prevent files from
being browseable, but that's not the pattern. Some files with special chars
such as these show up, and some don't.

Info below.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ubiratã Muniz (Bira)

Some info:

Samba packages:

samba-clients-3.0.4-61850cl
samba-common-3.0.4-61850cl
samba-winbind-3.0.4-61850cl
samba-swat-3.0.4-62749U10_2cl
samba-server-3.0.4-61850cl

An excerpt of smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = STM
        netbios name = SRVARQUIVOS
        netbios aliases = ALTOS01
        server string = Samba Server PDC
        interfaces = lo, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        min passwd length = 1
        passwd chat = *New*passwor* %n\r *new*SMB*password* %n\r
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%U
        max log size = 5
        min protocol = LANMAN2
        read raw = No
        write raw = No
        announce version = 4.0
        max xmit = 8192
        name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts host
        time server = Yes
        keepalive = 36000
        max open files = 30000
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
        load printers = No
        logon script = geral.bat
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 254
        lm announce = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = (ldap suffix here)
        ldap machine suffix = (ldap machine suffix here)
        ldap user suffix = (ldap user suffix here)
        ldap group suffix = (ldap group suffix here)
        ldap admin dn = (ldap admin dn here)
        ldap ssl = no
        admin users = root, (and admin users)
        create mask = 0664
        force create mode = 0664
        directory mask = 02775
        force directory mode = 02775
        printing = lprng
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
        lppause command = lpc hold '%p' %j
        lpresume command = lpc release '%p' %j
        queuepause command = lpc stop '%p'
        queueresume command = lpc start '%p'
        preserve case = No
        short preserve case = No
        dos filetimes = Yes
        dos filetime resolution = Yes
# Trusted domains (so that users already
# in the new JMU domain - still testing -
# can acess shares)
        allow trusted domains = Yes

< .. other shares ...>

# this is the share with problems
[sepro_arq]
# the path to the file share
        path = /arquivos/sepro_arq
# group sepro exists in LDAP and the server recognizes it. Permissions are
#OK
        write list = @sepro
        read only = No
        browseable = Yes