[Samba] Sysprep & Samba

msmith at edtech.mcc.edu msmith at edtech.mcc.edu
Wed Apr 19 16:19:28 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm using Samba version 3.0.14a-r2 on Gentoo Linux as a PDC for a
classroom environment. The server and the classroom are in different
subnets, but on the same local LAN. The broadcast messages are not
forwarded, so I have enabled a single machine in the classroom subnet to
act as a WINS proxy. I am using Ghost to image the classroom machines
which uses sysprep to prepare the image-rollout. I have my sysprep.inf
setup so it will prompt for a computer name and then automatically join
our domain. When mini-setup attempts to join the domain, it gives me an
error message saying "The user name could not be found. Would you like to
proceed for now and try joining a domain later?" In my Samba logs
directory I can see it trying to add a workstation user with the original
computer name of the sysprep'd computer:

[2006/04/19 11:43:16, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
'mmb9-m21'' gave 9
[2006/04/19 11:43:28, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
'mmb9-m21'' gave 9
[2006/04/19 11:43:40, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
'mmb9-m21'' gave 9
[2006/04/19 11:43:52, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
'mmb9-m21'' gave 9

I tried removing the mmb9-m21$ user with smbldap-userdel, and then allow
sysprep to attempt again. This time it adds the workstation under the
original name, but it continues to give the above messages and displays
the same error message in mini-setup on the workstation. The workstation
that is being imaged/sysprep'd is Windows XP Professional w/ SP2.

Ultimately I would like to make sysprep use the new computer name and
automatically join the domain with that new computer name.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you for your time.

--Marc