[Samba] hardware to use with samba?????

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Apr 14 19:01:39 GMT 2006

ECC memory is useful for preventing memory errors. It doesn't matter how
long it takes to get the wrong answer.  :)  I recommend it for anything
critical.

The memory access speed is minuscule compared with the disk I/O speed
and network speed. The type of memory is not important. The amount of
memory usually plays a bigger role on servers.

How much caching helps depends on usage patterns. If your users are
accessing the same files frequently, it can really boost performance. If
they don't, you won't see a great performance increase.

The processor you've chosen has a lot of power for simple file serving.
I gather from the questions, you're not doing this for a large
organization, so you're unlikely to need more performance.

You should do some performance monitoring on the server to find out if
you need to change anything. Put it up in the live environment and see
how much CPU is being used, what percentage of cache hits you're
getting, etc., and upgrade it accordingly.