[Samba] Need help figuring out "homes" share path

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:12:59 GMT 2006

Hi,

We set up a server to manage departmental servers and we're using
winbind inorder to be able to manage access via AD domain
accounts/groups.  And that's all working the way we want -- access to
department shares is being managed by membership in domain groups in
active directory.  That same physical server also has a second available
2TB raid array where I want to add personal shares so that everyone on
campus can have at least a couple of gigabytes of centrally managed
storage.

Here's my problem.  When I execute the command "getent passwd" and just
grep for myself, I get back:

        CATNET\rtanner:*:10301:10048:rtanner:/home/CATNET/rtanner:/bin/false

I created an empty folder "/home/CATNET/rtanner" and made sure that it
is owned by CATNET\rtanner.  I set the path in the homes share to
"/home/CATNET but when I try to mount the share, I get a dialogue box to
login to the share (which I shouldn't get) and then it still won't
accept my credentials for the homes share.  When I just go to the server
(typing \\server-name) and try to open up the homes share, I get a "You
might not have permission to use this network resource" error.  I also
tried renaming the folder to CATNET\rtanner.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--

Rob Tanner