[Samba] OS X - Free space reporting issues.

Eric Warnke ericew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 15:47:51 GMT 2006

We are putting into production a new samba server(s) with a combined
storage pool of several TB's of space.

One of the problems we encountered was that OS X ( 10.4.5 ) reported
free space incorrectly on very large values ( 650gb in our case ).  It
would report the free space as doubled for no apparent reason (
probably because it presumes values over a specific amount are 2k
blocks rather than 1k ).  We were able to overcome the problem by
stating a block size for the share larger than 1024.  In our case we
used "block size = 8192" and the problems went away(tm).

I wanted to post this information so that others with this problem, or
similar problems would have a place to start looking.

Cheers,
Eric Warnke
Systems Administrator - Research IT
State University of New York at Albany