[Samba] ugly name when mapping drives to windows

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Sep 30 18:28:30 GMT 2005

> In windows "this computer" and in explorer the mapping shows
> with the long name
>
> "sharedfolder at Samba file and print server (server) (X:)"
>
> Is there a way to remove aleast the
>
> "Samba file and print server" part of the name.
>
> I have tryed in netbios name =  something and server string =
> something
>
> With no result
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Windows remembers this comment field regardless of what the server is
actually called now, at least in certain versions.  If you do a registry
search for that string on the workstation you will find a section that lists
the comment.  Also, try looking in your nethood directory, one of these two
locations will have it.  You simply clear out references to the old long
name.

I used to have this myself where a previous admin had called our server
'Samba Mania' and I couldn't clear it until I brought in a new machine that
had never known about 'Samba Mania' and they referred to the machine as the
proper name.  I went looking and dug up the location that had it.  Sorry I
can't be exact, those machines have all been long gone so I can't tell you
exactly where it is.