[Samba] Samba(4) + AFS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 22:57:37 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 15:05 -0400, Derek Harkness wrote:
> This maybe more appropriate on the developers list but I'll ask here
> first.
>
> Anybody know if any improved support for AFS is being added to either
> samba 3 or 4?  We currently share all user home directories, shared
> files, web sites, etc. etc. from AFS using Samba.  This setup is
> working great, thank you to everyone involved!!  I'm just concerned
> that AFS support might not make it into 4.

There hasn't been a specific move to push the AFS support into Samba4 so
far, but in my understanding the majority of the work is in making up a
kerberos ticket and setting it into the kernel.  This isn't that hard,
and I see no reason why it can't be done.

The main thing will be the extra mappings and funny games that Samba3
plays to make this work 'better'.  Samba4 has a good NTVFS layer that
could either directly talk to the AFS servers, or talk to the linux
kernel as Samba3 does.

Andrew Bartlett