[Samba] Migrate tdbsam to LDAP - issues?

Michael George george at idealso.com
Wed Sep 28 15:19:12 GMT 2005

On Wed, September 28, 2005 11:06 am, Paul Smith said:
> I currently have a pure samba domain running off a Suse 9.1 machine.
> When I installed this domain I wasn't really comfortable with linux or
> LDAP so I used a tdbsam password file, and as there are only 30 or so
> users it seemed the way to go in the small amount of time I had
> available.
>
> Well, now I want to add a BDC to the mix I find I need to move to an
> LDAP backend.  I only have two boxes at my disposal so I'm hoping I can
> run Samba PDC and master LDAP on one and Samba BDC and slave LDAP on the
> other.
>
> I figure I should set up the second box as a master LDAP, transfer the
> accounts from the original box, then I can start afresh with the old
> machine and make it into a BDC/slave LDAP.
>
> Is that even possible?  Has anyone done this, and did you run into any

Paul, I'm near the end (I think) of doing something similar.  I am going
from a Windows PDC to a Samba PDC and LDAP and migrating the data with
vampire.  I have the process outlined, and I'd be happy to share it with
you when my last issue is figured out (posted previously).

I can think of no reason why one cannot vampire from a Samba PDC rather
than a Windows PDC.  Once you have done it with your PDC, it will be the
same process for your machine to convert to a BDC.

-Michael George
 Ideal Solution, LLC