[Samba] auth problem

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Sep 23 14:54:15 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 14:48 -0600, Ric Tibbetts wrote:

> >There is a terribly good howto:
> >
> >http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html
>

> Thank you!
> That helped, I'm closer.
> I left out one line from my smb.conf
> I found it from digging through that how-to.
>
> password server = <LDAP server>
>
> With that in, it now picks up the users from LDAP, which is exactly
> what I was after!
> Now I just need to work out a performance issue. getting the IDs from
> LDAP is SLOW!!!!
> It works, just as I wanted it to. It's just slow.

Well, it depends. How *slow* is slow?

And also, have you cranked up the logging on the auth part?

	log level = passdb:10 auth:10

Also have you set:

	passdb backend = ldapsam ldap://auth.yourhost.com

I am also assuming you have all the LDAP stuff setup properly, of course as needed/if needed.

        ldap admin dn
        ldap delete dn
        ldap filter
        ldap group suffix
        ldap idmap suffix
        ldap machine suffix
        ldap passwd sync
        ldap replication sleep
        ldap suffix
        ldap timeout
        ldap user suffix

Hopefully, if you have good throughput, its all in these settings. If
you don't have good throughput... well time to check the networking
tweaks for samba.

Also, if the delay turns out to be a lookup delay, try hard coding the
name and ipaddr in the /etc/hosts file on the AIX box. This sometimes is
a good work around for DNS queries gone bad.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing.