[Samba] Question on Samba Service

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Sep 22 14:56:46 GMT 2005

Samba can either be started as a "service" in inetd or started by the
run-level init process. On my debian system, you can manually start &
stop Samba by typing /etc/init.d/samba [start | stop | restart]. On
non-Debian systems the path to the samba command script may vary. The
script should be used when manually doing things with samba as it gets
the order for starting and stopping daemons correct. You can also use
swat if you have it enabled.

If Samba is started in inetd, you need the lines you mentioned.
Otherwise, run something like the KDE System V Init editor and add Samba
to start and stop at the appropriate run levels.

The permission denied error is probably because you were not logged in
as root. Try using the su command first!