[Samba] can't connect to osx 10.3 from win2k

Mark Maggelet mark at educationplanet.com
Tue Sep 20 19:58:47 GMT 2005

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the response. Are you sure this is right? None of the docs I
have read mention smbpasswd and I was under the impression that the
samba on osX uses the system account passwords to authenticate. There is
no /etc/samba/smbpasswd but there is a /private/var/db/samba/smbpasswd
which is empty. When I try to go 'smbpasswd username' as root it says
'Failed to initialize SAM_ACCOUNT for user username. Does this user
exist in the UNIX password database?'

so I tried to go 'passwd username' and it took it but I don't see it in
/etc/passwd, which isn't even where I think osX saves passwords. I'm not
even sure if the username I'm supposed to be logging in with is the osX
account 'Name' or the 'Short Name' so I'm trying both.

This is driving me nuts. I can't believe anyone has ever gotten this to
work.

Thanks for any help.

- Mark