[Samba] Group names matching user names

Albert Chin samba at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Tue Sep 20 01:33:56 GMT 2005

We're configuring Windows Server 2003 against Samba with an LDAP
backend. Things are mostly working. On the UNIX end, all users have,
as their primary group, a groupname matching their login id. So,
username "china" has groupname "china" as the primary group. I tried
creating a local user on the Windows Server 2003 box and a groupname
equivalent to the username but it wouldn't let me ("The account
already exists" is the error returned). Is the way we're doing things
on UNIX going to cause a problem for Windows? One Windows application
we tested wouldn't allow us to login because of this issue.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)