[Samba] Samba 3 performance issue

Felix Chu felixchu at powernetix.com
Mon Sep 19 09:58:15 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a Samba 3 Linux server in a data centre where has 100M bandwidth to
Internet.

My Samba clients are all in remote office, each office has 40M bandwidth to
Internet. The ping time from office to data centre is about 10ms to 15ms.

Some of the samba clients try to play some mpeg 4 movies directly from samba
server, but the movie can not be played smooth. The mpeg 4 movie is about 2
to 4M bit rate.

Then I tested the transfer rate from data centre to office by using samba,
it is about 6Mbps only. But if I use FTP, it can up to 40M. That means the
samba protocol cannot utilize the available bandwidth.

Samba clients are Windows XP, Linux Fedora 3, ucLinux, etc.

I have already tuned the Samba with following parameters, but no improvement
at all. Anyone know any issue about samba over Internet.

max xmit = 65535
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

Regards,
Felix