[Samba] Accessing /home/<user> properly from Win2003 Server share

Steve Hobbs shobbs at diablo-technologies.com
Mon Sep 12 21:58:57 GMT 2005

Hi,

After a major fight with Samba and Winbind (and my confusion), I finally
have my a RHEL v4.0 ES box successfully authenticating against the
Active Directory (ads) on a Windows 2003 Server. I installed the latest
version of Samba in the process (3.0.20) and SELinux started complaining
so I've disabled that for now.

I can now telnet, ssh, su, etc... as any of my windows users on the
Linux Server.

I'll supply the full /etc/smb.conf and /etc/krb5.conf and other related
settings to this list once I've got more stable.

(There are some of the links I used at the end of this mail.)

Now my cry for help.

Our company has bought a Dell Poweredge storage box running Windows 2003
Server with 2TB of disc space.

This will be used for both Windows and Linux shares (Exchange, Windows
Home, Windows Project, /home, /project, etc...).

We want to mount both the user and a project directory from this box on
to several linux boxes.

It is well documented on how to set up a Linux box as a server, but how
do I mount [homes] shares with the correct permissions from the Windows
server?

I also have a /project area, which anyone can access, but all of the
files need to have correct permissions as each user creates/accesses
them.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here?

A second question. How using my authentication method, do I customize
the shell that each account uses (not just /bin/bash)?

Here's my smb.conf for my setup

[global]

   workgroup = <DomainName>

   realm = <RealmName>

   preferred master = no

   server string = <ServerName> with Samba (%v) on %L

   security = ads

   password server = <Win2003PasswordServerName>

   encrypt passwords = yes

   log level = 3

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m

   max log size = 50

   winbind separator = +

   allow trusted domains = no

   idmap backend = idmap_rid:<DomainName>=500-100000000

   idmap uid = 500-100000000

   idmap gid = 500-100000000

   winbind enum users = yes

   winbind enum groups = yes