[Samba] Error 1326 Connecting from Windows XP

Cynthia Jeness CJeness at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 11 12:40:55 GMT 2005

I am using Samba 3.0.13-1.1 which I installed as part of installing Suse
9.3.  I started working my way through the Samba manual and set up the
following simple configuration file:

[general]
    workgroup = TUX-NET

[homes]
   guest ok  = no
   read only = no

I was then able to successfully connect from another Linux client also
running Suse 9.3.   However, when I moved to my Windows client, I
received the following error when I used net use z: \\fragbox\cj
user:cj  pippin

System error 1240 - The account is not authorized to log in from this
station.

I did some googling and some Microsoft postings which indicated that
this was related to encryption or not having guest enabled.   So I
changed my configuration to the following

[general]
   workgroup = TUX-NET
    encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
   guest ok = yes
   read only = no

Now I get the following error:

   System error 1326 has occurred.   Logon failure:  unknown user name
or bad password.

Also, with encryption on, my test from the Linux client also fails.

Several other points.   I do have a user account on the my Samba server
(fragbox) with the user name cj and the password pippin.   Also, I did
change my work group name on Microsoft to "TUX-NET" and I see TUX-NET
when I use the Microsoft browse facility.   I have looked at the two
logs under /var/log/samba and there is no message in the logs when I
initiate anything from the Windows side.

I have used Samba successfully a couple of years ago but only with
unencrypted passwords.   Given the concerns about security, I do not
want to resort to that again.   We are proposing to replace an old
Novell server with a new Linux server at a non-profit agency.   So I
need to verify that this will really work before I recommend that they
make such a move.   Please note that this is all volunteer and not for
profit on my part.

Thanks,
Cindy Jeness