[Samba] BDC on different subnet

2male / Jonathan Salomon joni at 2male.com
Thu Sep 8 11:02:02 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a BDC running samba 3.0.14a on a different subnet than the PDC.
The PDC is running winbind and acting as wins server (wins support =
yes). The excerpt below is from the smb.conf on the BDC:

   domain logons = Yes
   os level = 65
   preferred master = Yes
   domain master = No
   wins support = No
   wins server = 192.168.0.4

When I issue a 'smbclient -L localhost' on the BDC, I do get a list of
machines in both subnets. However it reports the BDC as the DOMAIN
master and I am not sure this is correct (I think not). Furthermore I
cannot add new machines to the domain (clients get the wins IP through
DHCP). OpenLDAP master is on the PDC and a replicated slave on the BDC.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thanks!
Jonathan