[Samba] max concurrent CIFS connections

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Sep 7 20:25:58 GMT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:22:31PM +0200, Pseudomizer wrote:

> I need some help please. I have been told from an administrator that Samba
> does only support up to 3.000 concurrent CIFS connections and each
> connections reserve 5MB of memory.

This is incorrect and way too high. It depends on how active each
connection is. On the HP PSA (Print Server Appliance) I believe it's
a much smaller number (I'm sure Jerry can give more accurate figures).
Of course that's for printing only. Depends what the users are doing.

> "Approaches that increase the Samba architectural limit are judged to be in
> violation of Microsoft patents and therefore cannot be implemented"

Utter rubbish.

> -          What is the maximum limit for concurrent CIFS connections?

Dependent on your server hardware. Try it until the server melts :-).

> -          Does Samba really reserve 5MB per CIFS connection?

No.

> -          Is there really a patent of Microsoft for 3.000 CIFS connections?

No.

> If yes, what is the solution for more users?

Test Samba on your current hardware and find the limits yourself. It
is very much dependent on your organizational usage.

Jeremy.