[Samba] Adding new users, changing admin pword, etc

Bruno Guerreiro bruno.guerreiro at ine.pt
Wed Sep 7 08:13:08 GMT 2005

Hi,

You may use ./smbldap-useradd -a cbutts2011
That way the samba attributes will be automatically created

>[root at localhost sbin]# ./smbldap-passwd cbutts2011
>Changing password for cbutts2011
>New password :
>Retype new password :
>[root at localhost sbin]# smbpasswd cbutts2011
>New SMB password:
>Retype new SMB password:
>Failed to find entry for user cbutts2011.
>Failed to modify password entry for user cbutts2011

There is no need for use smbpasswd.
smbldap-passwd takes care of that, if the -a switch was used at user
creation time.

>After that, I go to a client (and I've tested it on several) but the
>student cannot log on.  What could be the issue?
>
>Also, I rebooted the server last week...upon restart, I could
>not log back
>in using the root password the former employee left me.  Is there a
>separate administrator password?  Is there any way to reset
>that?  As of
>right now I cannot gain access to the gui.

Where can't you log back? At the server console, or by GUI you mean
something like SWAT.
Are you sure the password is correct?
If not, you can always reset it by starting the server in sigle user mode,
and resetting the password.

Best Regards,
Bruno Guerreiro