[Samba] Help - Serious samba problem with Excel

Jamie Heckford jamie at tridentmicrosystems.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 18:49:10 GMT 2005

Hi,

Damn I hate upgrades. After updating at the weekend to FreeBSD 5.4-R in
a fresh install our samba server just doesn't want to play ball.

I have managed to get Samba3 working ok apart from when it comes to
using Excel documents. If a user has an excel document open and another
user tries to open it, Excel 2003 will fail with 'Unable to open the
file, it may be read-only or encrypted'

It worked perfectly before, I have driven myself mad trying to get it to
work all day :(

If anyone could lend a hand it would be very much appreciated......
relevant config, details etc. below:

-------------------

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 #1: Sun Sep  4 16:37:13 BST 2005

samba-3.0.12_1,1 from FreeBSD ports (I have tried 3.0.20 as well, no luck)

[global]
         workgroup = TRIDENT
         server string = SERV01
         security = domain
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
         netbios name = SERV01
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         dns proxy = no
         wins support = no
         interfaces = 192.168.120.6/24
         encrypt passwords = yes
         enhanced browsing = yes

[stats]
          comment = Operations - Stats Area
          path = /u/stats
          force user = root
          guest ok = no
          writeable = yes
          valid users = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5

I have taken everything else out to try and solve this problem.

/u is mounted from another FreeBSD 5 box over NFS, I have tried all the
various oplock settings as well and this didn't make any difference.

Thanks,

--
Jamie Heckford
Network Manager