[Samba] Samba with LDAP

jools jools at oss4all.plus.com
Mon Oct 31 19:56:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a Samba PDC running OpenLDAP 2.3.6 and Samba 3.0.20. I've followed the
scheme laid down in the smb/ldap document at www.idealx.org and have used the
smbldap-tools from the same site to configure the Samba groups and base
accounts.

Using smbldap-useradd -a <user> I've set up 700 user accounts (300 max active
at a time) and have the home directories on the PDC and a seperate apps share
on a second Samba server (same versions) configured as a domain member.

On the PDC, I've got nss_ldap and pam_ldap configured and can log into the
Samba accounts even though there are no equivalent UNIX accounts for the
Samba users.  On the user's Samba shares, I have set the permissions to rwx
r-x --- for the owner and the group "Domain Admins" so I can use a Domain
Admin account to perform backups via NFS to a live backup server.

On the second server I have winbind running and executing wbinfo -u lists the
domain users and wbinfo -g lists the domain groups. I can authenticate on the
server using  a Domain User login but I can't set the group ownership of a
folder or file to Domain Users in the same way I can the set the shares on
the PDC for Domain Admins.

I have mapped the Domain Users group to a local group called users  on the
second server and set the group ownership of the share to to use it but I get
access denied. I can run chgrp 513 on the folder and I get access for Domain
Users but the group ownership appears as 513. If i run net groupmap list, I
get an entry that says:

Domain Users -> S-1-xxxxxxxxxxxxx  -> users

I'm obviously missing something obvious. Any clues?

Cheers,

jools