[Samba] LDAP Samba BDC

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 31 12:00:42 GMT 2005

Andreas schrieb:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 07:06:10AM +0100, robert.walland at r-kb.si wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if a Samba BDC should be able to create users and computer
>>accounts when connecting to a LDAP PDC server? Should the add scripT lines
>>be included in a BDC's smb.conf file?
>

> I'm also not so sure. Samba knows how to deal with a ldap slave server,
> so it would just follow the referrals to the master. I'm also assuming
> that when adding a computer account to the domain (like net rpc join),
> the client would be looking for the domain master browser netbios
> resource, which only the pdc has. But I haven't tested any of this.

normally, if you use Samba and LDAP, you use smbldap-tools to allow
Samba to write to the LDAP server.

in smbldap-tools configuration you have a separate definition for an
LDAP slave (for example, 127.0.0.1) and master (192.168.1.1).

so, if Samba wants to write (i.e., add a computer to the domain, or
change a password), smbldap-tools communicates with a master; if it
wants to read only, it contact the slave LDAP.

of course, add machine / users programs/scripts (which are smbldap-tools
scripts really) are defined in smb.conf.

so the answer is, yes, a BDC can create users and computers.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org