[Samba] Bind failed on Port xxx Socket error

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Oct 27 16:37:33 GMT 2005

> When I tried to start the SMBD service it was saying "not
> found", thanks
> to this forum, I got answer, saying I should type
> ./ smbd
I'll admit I didn't see your original message, how were you trying to start
it? Originally?

> When I did that, I didn't get any error, it went to anohter line
> (:/usr/local/samba/sbin)

> But I don't why I'm not able to access the directory where my
> files are
> resides.

> When I typed      "ps -ef | grep smbd"
> it shows that the samba service was started yesterday (oct-26)but not
> today(oct-27).  I know that the service stop working yesterday !!
>

> When I go in the log file (cat log.smbd) it tells me this
>
>  bind failed on port xxx socket_addr=0.0.0.0
> Error = The socket name is already in use
>
> Can anybody help with this

You are trying to start *another* samba daemon and getting a conflit as you
can only have one instance running on the standard port.  After looking back
on your message, it sounds like you're not stopping the previously running
service before starting another one.  You may either have one running on
boot, or just the one you started last time.

We best back up to the how you're starting it in the first place, or else
you're going to end up in a world of hurt.  To give some insight as to how
you should be directed, could you answer the following questions please?

What is your host OS build?  Linux (+Distro)? Solaris? Other?
How did you install Samba?  Having binaries in /usr/local/* sounds like a
source install, but you don't come off like you would have been compiling
from source.