[Samba] How does Samba handle unexpected disconnects?

Paul Griffith paulg at cs.yorku.ca
Wed Oct 26 13:39:46 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I have been looking for infomation on how Samba handle rude
disconnects. Here is the test....

#1 - Login to Samba hosted Domain
#2 - Turn off the computer; Turn the computer back on
#3 - goto to step #1 and repeat

Now at some point my login should fail...right?

If I try the above steps, after the 5-6th power off I get 'XXXX'
Domain not found!

Questions....

Does Samba kill the connection after the dead time has been reached
assuming deadtime has been set?

Does the OS timeout the TCP connnection and kill the connection ?

Do these zombie connections limit or effect new connections?

Thanks
Paul