[Samba] 3.0.20b and Heimdal

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 24 19:40:06 GMT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:35:41PM -0400, William Jojo wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get Heimdal 0.7.1 with Samba 3.0.20b to compile successfully without commenting out the __cplusplus stuff in include/includes.h? If I comment it out, it's fine on FC3. The Heimdal people are using "private" as a structure member name, so I know it's a Heimdal problem :-).

I think you need to remove the __cplusplus change in Samba3 to make
things compile.

> Also, should one be using Heimdal or MIT krb for use in 3.x? I see much talk of Heimdal in Samba 4 and wondering where I should be concentraing my education now and in the future. :-)

Samba4 has integrated Heimdal as their KDC as the architecture
is vastly easier to integrate than the MIT codebase (having
the Heimdal author help with this also hasn't hurt :-).

Having said that no major vendor is currently planning to ship
Heimdal as their KDC code so it'll have to eventually be made
to work with MIT. No easy answers I'm afraid :-).

Jeremy.