[Samba] usrmgr: group not found.

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Mon Oct 24 15:31:31 GMT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 8:03 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> I tried more things. I found that adding users made them member of a
> number of Linux-groups (defined by /etc/default/useradd).
<<snip>>
> If I remove the extra groups, leaving just the primary group of the
> new
> user (in Linux) then if I double click on the user and again just
> click
> on OK, this error message is gone.

So is this a problem on the Linux side?  You are trying to add a user
to several groups and one or more of the groups does not exist.  When
you add a user in samba, it creates the Linux user using the defaults
in /etc/default/useradd... so you get the error message.

grep through /etc/group and see if the groups in fact exist.  If they
do not, either change /etc/default/useradd, or create the necessary
groups with /usr/sbin/groupadd