[Samba] Problem with Excel Files and Acls

Marc Cousin mcousin at sigma.fr
Thu Oct 20 07:09:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've allready seen a lot of posts about problems with Excel 2000, but I
couldn't find one exactly matching my case.

I'm using a self (and maybe badly) compiled samba 3.0.20 on debian, using
ACLs. We're using ADS and winbind (some older NT4 domains remain)

The users can't open some excel files, spitting a message such as 'the file is
readonly or you're trying to open a read only location'. Sorry if the
translation is not that good, we're using a french Excel.

By the way, Excel is correct that the users have read only access to these
files...

I've tried to find the cause to this problem, and it all seem to be linked to
the ACL.

All my users are members of 'Utilisa. du domaine', and it is their main group
(as displayed by winbind)

If I have this ACL, opening fails miserably (except for user marc)

# file: my_file.xls
# owner: GROUPESIGMA+marc
# group: GROUPESIGMA+Utilisa.\040du\040domaine
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:GROUPESIGMA+Admins\040du\040domaine:rw
group:GROUPESIGMA+SIG_DAF_ACHATS:rwx
group:GROUPESIGMA+DSI:rwx
group:ORION+Utilisa.\040du\040domaine:r-x
mask::rwx
other::r-x

If I change the mask, it works (but of course members of the additional groups
are screwed) : the file is opened read only

# file: my_file.xls
# owner: GROUPESIGMA+marc
# group: GROUPESIGMA+Utilisa.\040du\040domaine
user::rwx
user:GROUPESIGMA+Administrateur:rwx#effective:r-x
user:GROUPESIGMA+flamisse:r-x
group::r-x
group:GROUPESIGMA+Admins\040du\040domaine:rw#effective:r-x
group:GROUPESIGMA+SIG_DAF_ACHATS:rwx#effective:r-x
group:GROUPESIGMA+DSI:rwx       #effective:r-x
group:ORION+Utilisa.\040du\040domaine:r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x

Could this be linked with the mask being shown as group 'standard' rights on
the file ?
ie for the first acl :
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 GROUPESIGMA+marc       GROUPESIGMA+Utilisa. du domaine  87040
and for the second acl :
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 GROUPESIGMA+marc       GROUPESIGMA+Utilisa. du domaine  87040

Anyway, any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.