[Samba] High CPU load on smiod

jools jools at oss4all.plus.com
Wed Oct 19 00:06:01 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm running Samba 3.0.13 on Mandrake 10.2 (LE2005) and have mounted the shares
on an NT4 server to rsync the files over to the Samba box.

The only thing is that Linux sees the dual Xeons in the server as four CPUs
and the first core on CPU1 hits 100% while the files are copying over. Every
so often, CPU1, core 2 takes over (at 100%) for a short period and then core
1 goes back to 100%. Is this normal?

When the CPU load hits 100% the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive and the
whole plot turns clunky. I've also had to turn apic off with linux apic=off
in Lilo.

Cheers all,

Jools