[Samba] smbpasswd -r .. doesn t work

Joerg de Witt dewitt at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Oct 18 13:07:30 GMT 2005

Hey there

I got a little problem with the remote changing of smb-passwords.
The problem:
I created a smbpasswd file with mksmbpasswd and so all the passwords are
blank now. Because only root can log on to the server eyerybody has to
change his/her password remote. Trying this gets me this error

Retype new SMB password:
machine 192.168.41.8 rejected the (anonymous) password change: Error was
: Wrong Password.
Failed to change password for ***

everybody trying to give me the "Don´t use the wrong password" answer,
believe me, it is the right password, I changed it locally on the server.

I don´t know what to change next, so please help me.

The samba client is running on a SuSe Linux 8.1.
samba-client-2.2.5-178
samba-2.2.5-178

thx for the help

kispel