[Samba] desktop file keeps coming up during logon

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Oct 18 06:17:54 GMT 2005

E. Dandrades wrote:

>Alright so I have samba running as a PDC and have roaming profiles, however when I Logon it does everything successfully but then it shows a "desktop" file in notepad with some info on it. Has anyone seen this before?
>

>thanks

Yes.

The desktop.ini file is normally in the startup group for each user. It
is a hidden file. I don't know why it sometimes pops up on the desktop,
but I've seen it happen often. I'm using Samba 3.0.14a-Debian. If you're
running the same, it may peculiar to that version. Otherwise, I can
confirm that it does happen.

You can try deleting the file from the startup files, then going into
folder options and re-checking the restore folders at startup option.
Not sure if it cures the problem, but you can try it.  :)