[Samba] Clarifying different password systems

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Oct 13 21:10:12 GMT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 02:36 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I had earlier versions installed, and the upgraded seems to have
> migrated me to the new password scheme. smb.conf has "passdb backend
> = tdbsam guest"; there is no smbpasswd file in the location
> designated in smb.conf or anywhere else according to locate; and
> there are various tdb files.

Chapter 10 of the HOWTO:
"tdbsam - The TDB based password storage backend. Takes a path to the
TDB as an optional argument (defaults to passdb.tdb in the  private dir
directory."

I don't think "guest" is a valid "passdb backend" value (at least "man
smb.conf" does not list it).

> Given "passdb backend = tdbsam guest", " encrypt passwords = true",
> and NT clients, does the smbpasswd command work on my system?

AFAIK there is no dependency on your supplied values (nor any others)
for those parameters. If the values are not valid or correct for your
environment the results may be less than satisfactory.