[Samba] User list

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 7 18:55:04 GMT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 12:47, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Friday 07 October 2005 07:32, Scott Mayo wrote:
> >> I have a samba server setup with LDAP.  Before I was using LDAP, I could
> >> get a list of users and groups with my perl script by using the getgrent
> >> and getpwent routines.  I cannot use this anymore, because for some
> >> reason, these routines do not see all of my users.  They only see up to
> >> a certain point.  If I do a 'getent passwd' from the command line, it
> >> only shows up to certain number of users.  The others are there though
> >> and they work fine.
> >>
> >> IE:  I created the user 'johnsonz' as one of my last users.  If I do a
> >> 'gentent passwd | grep johnsonz', then I do not see this user anywhere
> >> at all, but if I do 'id johnsonz', it shows his information.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?  Everything seems to be
> >
> > Update to a more recent version of nss_ldap. It is available from
> > http://www.padl.com.
>
> John,
>
> Just out of curiousity, what in this post make you think that
> an update nss_ldap would solve the problem?  Have you experienced
> this bug ?   Just curious.

I helped Scott with his set up originally. The version of nss_ldap I pointed
Scott at has a bug that is fixed in later release. It causes the exact
symptoms he reported. I have had to update to nss_ldap 242 in a number of
sites to fix this same problem.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.