[Samba] Re: SAMBA/PDC + LDAP HELP please? => For your profiles.

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 7 17:04:10 GMT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 07:51, Louis van Belle wrote:
> realy,
>
> thank you for notifing me..
>
> but why is this then in the manual
> http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ProfileMgmt.html
> Windows XP Service Pack 1
> There is a security check new to Windows XP (or maybe only Windows XP
> service pack 1).
> It can be disabled via a group policy in the Active Directory. The policy
> is called:
> Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\
>           Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders
> ( is same as  CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001 )
> And yes this is also in SP2.

This was user contributed documentation. The HOWTO document is a broad
collection of tips, explanations, hints, and detailed explanations of the
inner workings of Samba. I have re-read the chapter and believe the
information is still useful, though it could do with some updating. Please
take note though, the HOWTO is NOT a deployment guide.

Is anyone volunteering to review and revise this chapter? I do not have time
right now.

Detailed example configurations for Samba, support software and Windows
clients is provided in the book "Samba-3 by Example" ISBN 013188221X,
available from Amazon.Com and in PDF from:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

"Samba3 by Example" is a prescriptive guidance document that provides
detailed, step-by-step, deployment information for complete networking
solutions. The book, "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" is NOT
a deployment guide, but it provides detailed documentation of the various
capabilities and components of Samba - without showing detailed deployment
steps.

Cheers,
John T.