[Samba] Samba fails with no apparent message

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 03:54:11 GMT 2005

On 10/5/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 23:29 -0400, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> > I had to reinstall my system, and for some reason samba doesn't work.
> It's a
> > mandriva 2005 system, 2.6.11-6mdk. I'm using a very very minimal
> smb.conf:
>

> > I have no clue what's wrong with it.
> ----
> Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but this would surely help.

> Craig

Sigh, unfortunately that is what happens when I lose a message after
bickering with software for hours and try and retype it. I forgot to retype
an entire paragraph from the middle, then went something like this:

Trying to start the service fails with no apparent error messages. It just
hangs on "Starting smb service". I tried running the smbd directly with
debugging on, and the following is what I get.