[Samba] how do you manage printers on workstations?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Oct 4 13:43:40 GMT 2005

> How do you manage printers on Windows workstations?
>
> What I mean, suppose you have many classrooms, different
> printers (which
> sometimes change) in these classroms - how do you manage which
> workstation (or a group of them) will use which printer?
>

> So far I've been using WPKG for that - as I described here:
> http://wpkg.org/wiki/index.php/Printer_configuration
>

> But somehow I feel it isn't the easiest and most intuitive
> way - it is
> basically running:
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /q /y /ga /in /n \\server\kyocera
>
> as a domain administrator when machine is booted, and then in
> a netlogon
> script when a user logs in.
>
> In other ways, I'm looking for an easier way to do it :)

I'm assuming here that you're trying to get around having to connect to the
printer as an admin so that the driver loads.  I would love to find a
no-intervention way of making this happen myself.  I have found that there
is a local security flag you can flip which will allow users to install
printer drivers, the side effect being that they could possibly change 'any'
driver.  The tedious part is that you must do this on every machine once.

I guess you just have to pick your poison... Do it a hard way every time and
know that the users still are locked down or loosen the reigns a bit and not
worry about it every time.  Your call.