[Samba] XP Client brings another SID in

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Oct 3 10:06:09 GMT 2005

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 08:09:41AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 01:28:21AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:

 <snip/>

> > I do get message "welcome to the domain" (reboot to activate)
> > But an user login fails ...
> >

> > I think I have nailed it down to a strange SID that the client brings in.
> >
> > On a working system I have this LDAP entry:
 <snip/>

> > Note the same base SID
> >
> > On the failing system there is this after adding a client:
 <snip/>
> > Note the different base SID.
> >

> > Could be confirmed that base SIDs should be te same?
> > (or could be told that it is okay ;-)
> >

> The output of

 <snip/>

> would be helpfull to determine the track to continue
>

> > Anyway: which way to go ?   ( or what to read next ? ;-)

The computer was moved into another network  (previous ontold)
That did effect the SID
Forcing the SID to the previous value was done wrong.

Right way to get matching SIDs in samba & ldap
was:

  /etc/init.d/samba stop
  cd /var/lib/samba ; rm *
  smbpasswd -w secret  # allows samba to read from ldap
  /etc/init.d/samba start  # ldap SID into samba databases
  /etc/init.d/samba restart  # get the died smbd running again

Cheers
Geert Stappers