[Samba] Samba Guide, SuSe and Yast

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Nov 30 10:56:53 GMT 2005

Olivier Thibaut schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using SuSe Linux Enterprise Server 9.
> I've setup a Samba/LDAP solution according to ch5 of the Samba Guide.
> It's working - that's great :-)
>
> Now I'd like to know if anyone tried to manage the users database
> using tools provided by Yast.
> Is there a risk to mess up everything ?
> Did anyone try that before ?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Olivier Thibaut.

hi,
you can edit a feww ldaps attributes ( like user home ) with yast but  i.e
edit Group names will fail ( i.e.yast ldap doesnt like whitespace in
Group names ),
sometime the whole user getting to another place in the ldap tree after
editing,
in different suse versions this behavior is different.
The reason is that yast ldap module is more orientated on suses thoughts
from a ldap directory ( ldap yast layout follows  nearer to the ie. mail
layout for ldap) .
So i advice you not to use yast for edit ldap if you populated the ldap
tree from samba sources.
Better use a ldap editor which are either  on the suse distro ( linux )
itself or as freeware from a windows client, so there many ldap edit
solutions at freshmeat.
Regards